About Me

My photo

Delighting in my God, I desire to dwell in His pleasure and to help others experience true delight.

"Delight Yourself in the Lord;
And He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him, and He will do it.
And He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
And your judgment as the noonday.  
Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him;..." Ps 37:4-7a

Friday, August 17, 2012

Stretching for Health




This week's Five minute Friday prompt is 'Stretch.'  
Click here for additional stretching help.

Alright, stretch a little higher.  Expand those abs.  Nice deep breath and relax.

My twelve year old daughter and I began a daily strength and stretch exercise program.  Well it isn’t really a program because we are using a variety of dvds, but we do have a regular time and we are trying to be committed.  My favorite of the ones we are using is called “Classical Stretch” with Miranda Esmonde-White which my friend Mindy told me about.  Within three days of regular stretch and ab work, I noticed a significant improvement in my mobility.  It was great to be able to move more fluidly again and my racquetball game improved as well.

I remembered back to my earlier days when I realized the importance of daily stretching.  Why I got away from it, I am not really sure - laziness probably.  I let myself get out of the habit and getting back into the habit is oh so difficult.  

I was awakened again to the importance of stretching when I had to struggle through the pain of some herniated disks in my back.  I learned how stretching my pectoral muscles helped to alleviate pain in my back and neck and made me feel so much better.

5 minutes done.
Art Source 

I have learned for myself not to forgo the stretching and strengthening of my core, physically and spiritually.  I have experienced personally the slow deterioration, stiffening, and suffering that result.  I also know that returning to the discipline of regular stretching and strengthening, little by little, reverses the decline, rejuvenates mobility, and reduces pain.  

All in all a reason to delight.



Five Minute Friday

4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that I read your post on stretching. It was wonderful. I workout for at least 15 minutes a day with T-Tapp because it helps to limber me up. I wake each morning with moderate back pain and a pinch in my shoulder and so forth. Stretching helps so much!! Once I am done, I actually feel so much better than a few years back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true and so well put. Thank you for sharing. I am visiting from Five Minute Friday. Stretching is so good for all parts of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stretching is so important; I agree. And btw, I noticed that you went to college on Long Island. I grew up in Lindenhurst, NY which is on the south shore of LI. I now live in Phoenix but go back to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder to stretch. It is so easy to fit it in your schedule. Just a few minutes a day can work wonders!

    Ana

    ReplyDelete

I delight in hearing your thoughts!