Friday, August 17, 2012

Stretching for Health




This week's Five minute Friday prompt is 'Stretch.'  
Click here for additional stretching help.

Alright, stretch a little higher.  Expand those abs.  Nice deep breath and relax.

My twelve year old daughter and I began a daily strength and stretch exercise program.  Well it isn’t really a program because we are using a variety of dvds, but we do have a regular time and we are trying to be committed.  My favorite of the ones we are using is called “Classical Stretch” with Miranda Esmonde-White which my friend Mindy told me about.  Within three days of regular stretch and ab work, I noticed a significant improvement in my mobility.  It was great to be able to move more fluidly again and my racquetball game improved as well.

I remembered back to my earlier days when I realized the importance of daily stretching.  Why I got away from it, I am not really sure - laziness probably.  I let myself get out of the habit and getting back into the habit is oh so difficult.  

I was awakened again to the importance of stretching when I had to struggle through the pain of some herniated disks in my back.  I learned how stretching my pectoral muscles helped to alleviate pain in my back and neck and made me feel so much better.

5 minutes done.
Art Source 

I have learned for myself not to forgo the stretching and strengthening of my core, physically and spiritually.  I have experienced personally the slow deterioration, stiffening, and suffering that result.  I also know that returning to the discipline of regular stretching and strengthening, little by little, reverses the decline, rejuvenates mobility, and reduces pain.  

All in all a reason to delight.



Five Minute Friday

4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that I read your post on stretching. It was wonderful. I workout for at least 15 minutes a day with T-Tapp because it helps to limber me up. I wake each morning with moderate back pain and a pinch in my shoulder and so forth. Stretching helps so much!! Once I am done, I actually feel so much better than a few years back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true and so well put. Thank you for sharing. I am visiting from Five Minute Friday. Stretching is so good for all parts of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stretching is so important; I agree. And btw, I noticed that you went to college on Long Island. I grew up in Lindenhurst, NY which is on the south shore of LI. I now live in Phoenix but go back to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder to stretch. It is so easy to fit it in your schedule. Just a few minutes a day can work wonders!

    Ana

    ReplyDelete

I delight in hearing your thoughts!