Monday, June 9, 2014

Celebrating Our Graduate



Celebrating our Graduate as a Family
 This past Saturday, June 7, 2014, we graduated our 4th of five children from our homeschool, another milestone reached for him and for his dad and me.
5 of My Gifts from God

That's my boy!
 Exuberant and loving, Kipp is a joy in our home.  I am blessed he won’t be leaving us just yet.  He has elected to pursue his associate’s degree in computer science at the community college before continuing at a 4-year institution, if the Lord allows.  There is joy in the journey.

At his graduation ceremony, the president of our state homeschool group was also watching her youngest child of nine graduate. She noted that though people often comment that this is a bittersweet time, she disagreed.  

“It’s just sweet,” she professed.  

I’m not sure any transition is ‘just sweet’ for me, but there is a sense of that sweetness in the respite of accomplishment, of completion.  There is a sweetness in watching the little ones we brought into the world now prepared, albeit never fully, to take on that world themselves.  There is sweetness in remembering, because it is the sweetness of the memories that remains.  

Our Fine Young Men
Yet how easily tears flow these days as each transition not only brings its own twinge of trauma, but also a re-visitation of all transition traumas past.  So…sweet yes, but it is a sweetness that exposes both weakness and strength, tenderness, with all its facets, yet energetic vitality for what’s ahead.  There is joy in the journey, even in transitions.

         So as you celebrate your own transitions, whether they be graduations, or weddings, or something else, I encourage you to cherish them.  Bask in the moments, because they pass so quickly.  They are gifts from God.  Let go of the lies that rob you of your sweetness, and treasure the preciousness of your life.  Even in transition one can relish and delight in the joy of the journey.

Transitions Make Memories
 To you my special family:  I love you guys.  You are all and each special blessings to me from God.  And I will thank Him all the days of my life for you.  Go forth.  Be a blessing and be blessed.     Love, Mom

6 comments:

  1. Aww! Congrats to him! "Bask in the moments" - A great reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a sweet time! I guess the bitter stands for the friends you will gradually separate from as you head off to college... But thanks to the internet, everyone can always stay in touch. Congratulations to your son on reaching this major milestone. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to your handsome boy! So nice to see a family picture. It IS bittersweet as our children grow up. They are little for such short a time! Good job, well done, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Congrats to Kipp! He's got such an expressive face--I just love it. I know what you mean about these moments of change. They totally take you by storm, even when you think you're prepared, and it's right for the tears to flow. You have such an adorable family. =)

    ReplyDelete

I delight in hearing your thoughts!